Dear Residential Students and Families,
As we near the start of our Fall 2020 on-campus experience, we have been hard at work to prepare for your arrival, and we are excited to welcome you to Lehigh in the safest way possible. To mitigate the health risk to our community, we have made a number of significant changes to the fall semester arrival and move-in procedure. Your cooperation and understanding will be important to the success of this revised process. Please review the following information carefully with your family.
FALL 2020 ARRIVAL DATES
- First-year students: Tuesday, Aug. 18, through Thursday, Aug. 20
- Upper Class students who received permission to live on campus: Friday, Aug. 21, Saturday, Aug. 22 and Sunday, Aug. 23
- To ensure that all students can move into their residential space in a timely manner while respecting social distancing, move-in will take place by appointment.
(IMPORTANT: RARE and LUSSI participants who have permission to arrive early based on an approved university commitment, will receive direct communication about move-in dates/times and processes from their group advisor.)
STEP ONE: SCHEDULE YOUR MOVE-IN APPOINTMENT
We appreciate your cooperation during the move-in process. To ensure everyone maintains social distance, all students must sign up for a three-hour time slot:
- Housing Services has shared information and instructions to sign up for your appointment via your THD Housing and Dining Self-Service Page. This process began Wednesday, August 12.
- After you register, you will receive an email with your confirmed arrival date/time.
- All sign-ups will remain active through move-in, and students can revisit their housing and dining self-service page to change their selected date and time should it become necessary to do so.
- Due to the extensive check-in requirements this fall, it is imperative that everyone be respectful of assigned times.
STEP TWO: PREPARING FOR YOUR ARRIVAL
- Quarantining: Students coming from countries listed by the CDC as level 2 and 3 and the states designated as “hot spots” by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania must self-quarantine for 14 days, either in Pennsylvania or another location not listed by the Commonwealth just prior to arriving on campus. This list may have states added or removed as we approach the start of the semester; any changes will apply and should be followed. We are requiring students to have completed the quarantine before coming to campus. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate or provide this space for arrivals on campus. If your quarantine extends beyond the move-in time slots on August 20, after you provide your quarantine plan, Housing Services will contact you to coordinate your move-in. Faculty can readily accommodate students who must start classes remotely during this quarantine and will work to accommodate students who need to quarantine at any point throughout the semester.
- Testing: As part of the health and safety plan for coming to campus, you are required to undergo COVID-19 testing prior to arriving on campus. Lehigh University partnered with Vault Health to provide you with an at-home saliva-based COVID-19 test to complete in advance of your arrival to campus. Proof of a negative test conducted by Vault Health will be required to come to campus, and you will not be permitted to check in without proof of a negative test result. Updated information about the testing process was sent by the Health and Wellness Center and can be found HERE. If you have not yet completed your first test, you should do so immediately. If you did not receive an email with information about how to have your first test mailed to you, contact email@example.com. You can also chat, call 610-758-4357, or text 610-616-5910. If you receive a positive test result, you must stay home. The Health and Wellness Center will follow up with all students who have received a positive test result on the Vault- administered COVID-19 test.
- Immunizations: The Health and Wellness Center has been reviewing student medical immunization records and following up with students to ensure they are up-to-date. Please make sure you have completed all required immunizations, vaccinations and action items prior to arrival, or your check-in process may be delayed.
- COVID-19 Self Assessment for students and family members: Before arriving on the day of your scheduled move-in time slot, students and all those assisting with move-in should complete the COVID-19 Self-Assessment and follow all directions provided with your individual QR code. Those who receive a red QR code will not be permitted to move in or assist with move in. Students can complete this assessment via the Hawkwatch application. Families who do not have access to Hawkwatch may complete the web-based version.
- Packing: Since this fall will be unlike any other, please limit the items you bring to campus in case the university must unexpectedly close for health and safety reasons related to the pandemic. We recommend bringing only the essentials, and we strongly encourage you not to bring large items such as futons and couches. If there would be a need to close campus due to COVID-19, larger objects, such as furniture, may need to be packed and stored at your expense. All students should plan to completely move-out prior to Thanksgiving to be prepared if the virus causes a change to our spring schedule.
- Transportation: We strongly recommend that residents bring only one vehicle to campus to unload. This will help with the flow of traffic for those moving in and the limited parking at each residence hall.
- Cleaning supplies: While Lehigh has implemented enhanced cleaning practices throughout campus, we recommend you bring your own cleaning supplies for your personal space, especially if you reside in apartments or suites with private bathrooms (Brodhead, Farrington Square, Sayre Park Village).
- Limited guests: To ensure appropriate social distancing, each student may only bring two guests/family members into the residence hall to assist with move-in. While we normally have an extensive number of volunteers to assist with your move-in, please note that this year each student and their guests will be required to unload their vehicle and bring their items to their room. Please note that pets, other than emotional support animals that have been approved by the University’s Office of Disability Support Services or trained service animals, are not permitted on campus.
STEP THREE: THE CHECK-IN PROCESS (Iacocca Hall, 111 Research Drive, Bethlehem, Pa. 18105)
- Do not come to campus if you have received a positive COVID-19 test or if you have not completed applicable quarantining requirements.
- Upon arrival to campus, all residents will immediately check in at the Iacocca Hall courtyard on the Mountaintop Campus. All students and guests must wear a face covering at all times. To ensure a smooth move-in process for everyone, please observe your assigned time. No students or guests will need to vacate their vehicle during the check-in process.
- At check-in, you will receive a Wellness Kit containing two Lehigh face coverings, hand sanitizer and a thermometer.
- Housing Services will be provided with verification that students have all required immunizations and proof of a negative COVID-19 test. If your medical record is not complete, this will slow down your move-in process. To avoid this, please ensure that you have completed your medical record in its entirety and completed your Vault Health test before your move-in appointment.
- You will receive your room key. Room keys will not be issued to any student who does not have a completed medical record on file. Appropriate ID such as a state Driver’s License or Passport will be needed to obtain your room key.
- First-year students will also receive their Lehigh ID card in addition to their key. If you are a returning student and you have lost your Lehigh ID, please contact the IDEAL Office in advance of your arrival so they can print a replacement ID, which will be provided at check-in. Please email IDEAL at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Students and guests will receive a parking pass that indicates the student’s name/building, which will expire at the end of the appointment time. You are expected to complete your move-in during your allotted time block.
STEP FOUR: AT YOUR RESIDENCE HALL
- Students will follow designated routes to their assigned residence hall. Once at the residence hall, please unload your vehicle within the allotted time block.
- The use of face coverings will be required while you are on Lehigh’s campus.
- Our custodial contractor, ABM, will clean and sanitize the common and high-touch areas of the residence halls throughout each designated move-in day.
- Once belongings have been moved into rooms, family members and guests will be asked to depart from the residence hall at the completion of your time block so vehicles in the next time block can be accommodated. If you wish to remain on campus, you may park in the Alumni Memorial or Zoellner Arts Center parking garages but remember to please wear face masks and practice social distancing on campus. Other campus buildings will not be accessible and for health and safety reasons we ask that family members and guests do not return to the residence hall.
We appreciate your cooperation and understanding in helping to make the Lehigh move-in experience efficient and safe for all community members. Since this fall is so unique, students should continue to check their Lehigh email and the Housing Services website for any updates. Information also continues to be updated on the Housing Services website and the Lehigh COVID-19 Information site. Thank you for your attention to these detailed instructions and we look forward to seeing you soon.